Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Creative Tuesdays: Forest

The newest Creative Tuesdays theme is "forest." Since I love illustrating animals, I decided to focus on one of the most well-known forest birds. I had previously posted my owl print:
Then, I made a new character sketch based on this print. I always admired some of the techniques of traditional animation. They often started with a basic black and white sketch, filling in all the gray values with graphite and charcoal. In a way, this drawing is meant to be a "looser" version of the print:


© Owl Illustration by Abigail Davidson; Medium: Color pencil, pen; Size: 5x8 Inches

I also wanted to make a quick brainstorm drawing of an evergreen forest:


© Forest ATC by Abigail Davidson; Medium: Color pencil, marker, pen; Size: 2.5 x 3.5 Inches

There is something fascinating about landscape drawings that do not show human beings directly, but rather suggest them with man-made objects like a wishing well or a cottage.

Looking forward to seeing all the "forest" inspired art. Happy illustrating!

13 comments:

  1. I like your 'man made' with the natural environment. Nice paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popping in via Creative Tuesdays. Aww, Abigail I love your wee pencil owl it is just so very sweet! Is he going in your shop? I bet he'll be snapped up quickly :) And how much did you get on your ATC?! Wow. It looks much more than 2.5x3.5. Amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo! You're always so kind. The owl print is already available in my shop, and I will also be adding the illustration. And yes, it really is an ATC! I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Hanna, thank you for co-hosting and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three pieces are wonderful and I especially love the owls! Fabulous lino cut as well. Very interesting to read your explanation of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the print 'cause of the textures and the various effect that you can't predict.

    hope you have a sweet day

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are AL so good! So glad you drew up that one at the end for the CT theme --aamzing...and to think you just shipped it up1 Whoa. Love your owl too, esp the first one. I love that style although I;ve never tried to do that myself. Maybe that's why I admire it so much? Thanks again for laying along. Hope you enjoyed this theme as much as I am visiting everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and for hosting! Of course, I enjoyed this theme!

      Delete
  7. I love your owl and I'm sure he's hiding somewhere in that beautiful forest you painted! Good job... Your owls have personality!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete